Thursday, June 2, 2011

Cutting hair in Moldova


Cutting hair should be the same everywhere right? wrong. Yes, the techniques are the same and hair is hair. But the language barrier makes it difficult to understand what exactly they want their hair to look like and its hard for me to figure it out. One of the number one things we are taught to do is listen well to the client and understand what they want, but it's difficult to listen and understand when I don't understand the language. The styles are not the same here. I think I want so much for every person that walks out of my chair to love their hair and I worry that they dont or it's not exactly what they wanted or what they are used to. I think in the states when someone likes their hair a lot after I cut it they express it and here they just say thank you and leave so I'm left wondering if it was what they wanted or if I did it ok. Im sure after a while of being here I will learn the styles and see how exactly they get their hair cut. One thing that's made me laugh here is when I've tried to explain layers in the hair, all the girls just get so confused. They don't understand. So the only way to explain it is the stairsteps in the hair and they all come to me asking for the stairsteps in their hair. Now I know to ask if they want the stairsteps instead of layers. I've only done a few guys haircuts and my clippers are not working over here still so one of the girls let me borrow her from home and its different getting used to them. So pray that I wouldn't let the insecurities take up any space in my mind. Even though I know it's more about the relationships built through cutting hair, I still want them to love what I do their hair. So if it's googling Moldovan hair pictures all day or whatever, I will learn the styles here and know what is common. I know God is using me through this and ultimately that's what it's about. That what little thing I can do will further the kingdom and bring glory to Him.

The picture at the top is my "office" as they call it. haha. It's just a little bathroom that smells not so awesome lol. But it works good. And I'm glad I can have a space where they can come.

No comments:

Post a Comment