Sunday, June 19, 2011

Awkward Moments

I'll never forget summer camp either my senior or junior year of high school. If we were sincere, Derry had us stand up in front of everyone and say that we had counted the cost and no matter what it took we would follow and seek after Christ. And I thought it was so strange that after I had done that, Derry asked me this question..."Even if it's awkward?" Well sure, even if it's awkward. 3 years later I've stayed true to that statement I made in front of the youth group and it's brought me to Moldova. Awkward moments pretty much define my life here. I now know why God brought that question to Derry's mind for me. haha.

The language barrier is awkward sometimes, most times. When I'm trying to figure out what people are saying to me in Romanian, there are so many awkward times where I either 1) have no idea what they are saying 2) have to act out stuff to figure out what we're talking about 3) or stand there awkwardly and hope that someone would come translate for me. haha. And when all else fails, smile and nod. In all seriousness, I feel like my Romanian is getting better every day. There will be more words I recognize or I can usually figure out what the sentence is generally about. Church services have become a little easier. And I mostly know my numbers! Very important in shopping. :)

I leave for the bus4life on Tuesday. As far as I know, I'm the only American on the team. One of the girls speaks good English and her husband does too so that's comforting that I wont be completely alone. I think it will be good for me though...hopefully I'll learn more Romanian!! Some of the challenge into missions people (moldovans who take a year to do missions) will be on the bus so I'm excited to get to know them! The weather is getting very warm here. 91 degrees today and they keep telling me that this is nothing compared to July so we'll see haha.

Thanks for praying. I'm doing really well here. I'm not homesick at all. haha. sorry Mom and Dad. But no, I love it here and have a family here at OM. I've grown close to my roommate and it's nice to have one American here with me that I can relate to. Continue to pray that God would use me to my full potential and that his will for me here would be accomplished. Pray that God would reveal to me what He has for me after July. Longer commitment here? Work in a salon back home? I don't know. I have no plans and am just praying that in His time God would reveal my next steps to me. So glad to be doing this WITH Him.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley,
    I love reading your blog. I tried to leave a comment before but can never get it to go through. You make it very interesting to read and it let's us know how to pray. God is really using you there so just keep following your heart, which we know is God's heart. Our prayers are with you. Love you, Grandma H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, we continue to pray for you on this journey! Thanks for all the updates on the blog. God is using you and will continue to use you wherever you are in the future, whether it be in the US or overseas! We love you! Uncle Mike and Aunt April

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahaha! Dude...Awkward moments here..where to begin! I have soo many! I love the classic "I have no idea what you are saying, but I will head nod as id I do." haha or the classic "come up with random words to respond, or the si' answer to every question" haha makes for great laughs! Glad you're having a great time! :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete