Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Market and random thoughts

Yesterday my roomate and one of the other girls here and I went into town to go to the store. To get to the store we had to walk for about ten minutes up some hills then ride a bus/15 passenger that is used as public transportation. To get into the bus you have to walk through the front passenger door and hand the driver 3 lei. Then you sit down and if you need change the driver will pass the money back and it will be passed from person to person until it gets to you. The streets are not good in Moldova so it's quite a bumpy ride. It's quite a different experience from a busride home in America. After a few minutes of riding we got to the market. It pretty much looks like any regular store in the states but none of the food is familiar. To say I was a little overwhelmed is an understatement. haha. I had no idea what the price conversion was or what I would need to eat for the next week or just any clue of what to do. To get fruit you pick up a fruit, give it to someone to be weighed and then they will price it for you. Then you can go on shopping. I ended up getting some pasta, ketchup, eggs, bread, jelly, water, and some frozen dough with meat inside. Needless to say, my meals for the week will be very boring. haha.

Going on my third day here I've realized some things: the toilet paper is pink, ketchup comes in bags that look like IV bags from a hospital, the sun shines at 4 in the morning, I'm going to have awesome leg muscles from walking 4 stories of stairs atlest 10 times a day, the people here are very warm and inviting, the food here has been good, it is very hot here and not sweating is just not an option.

I'm so glad God's placed me here for now. How could I ever doubt that He always knows what He's doing? Every closed door in the past year had lead to this and as much as I wanted to change God's plans a year ago I'm glad he's brought me here.

Doing haircuts has been a really good way for me to get to know the people here! I did 7 haircuts yesterday which included 3 really energetic hilarious kids. I've done 1 haircut this morning and have 5 or 6 for the rest of the day. One of the couples here is leaving to do missions in another country so I'm going to get to teach them how to cut hair a little bit so they can do it when they leave.

I feel like I'm adjusting a little better now. My body is used to the time now and I can finally think because Im not so tired haha. I'm so glad that my computer charges here with a converter! I was sure it was going to get fried but it did charge. My clippers however are not working so well and my trimmers just stopped working altogether. So keep praying that God would work through me and use me to bring glory to Him. and that my clippers would work so i can do guy haircuts more easily! haha :)

Here is a picture of the view outside my window and my oh so creative meal of meat in dough and ketchup. If you click on the pic of the view you can see it bigger.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for keeping us updated with this awesome blog! Sounds like you are having a great time!! I'm praying for you daily! Love you lots!!

    ReplyDelete